Five Easy Ways To Help Save The Ocean
It’s world ocean day today, there will be infographics and high fiving across the internet about it, which is all good to help raise awareness. But, every other day of the year is just as important for the ocean. So when it comes to marine litter entering the sea, here are five simple things you can do to help reduce it.
1. Check your facial wash, shampoo, cosmetics and ditch the ones containing microbeads. Whoever thought it was OK to fill these products with plastic in the first place must have been crazy, but it’s up to all of us to stop using it.
2. Get a reusable flask for water. Two reasons, one is we’re being ripped off buying water in bottles, it’s water, we are lucky in the UK that it comes out of our taps and is drinkable, so save your money for something else. Secondly plastic water bottles enter the ocean in their millions every year, we can nip this one in the bud so easily.
3. Refuse packaging wherever you can, this may be a plastic bag or veggies wrapped in plastic, if there is an alternative, choose the one without packaging.
4. Recycle, plastic is not a cheap throwaway commodity, it costs money to produce and costs the environment both at source and at disposal, yet we think it is a cheap throwaway commodity.
5. Pick up, and you don’t have to be on the beach, see a piece of plastic, pick it up, recycle if you can or bin it, get it out of the environment. If every single one of us did this once a day the difference would be huge.
Five simple things we can do to reduce plastic getting into the sea, oh here’s a sixth –
6. Refuse all single use plastic, straws, forks, spoons, knives, straws etc. what a waste they are.