Why buying bottled water is stupid.
Out of the plastic we come across on beaches, so much is bottled water, and it’s a scam. It’s estimated that a 25- 40% of bottled water is actually just filtered tap water, and is legal.
Few facts purely on US Consumption of bottled water.
- Making bottles to meet America’s demand for bottled water uses more than 17 million barrels of oil annually, enough to fuel 1.3 million cars for a year1. And that’s not even including the oil used for transportation.
- The energy we waste using bottled water would be enough to power 190,000 homes2.
- Last year, the average American used 167 disposable water bottles, but only recycled 38.3
- Americans used about 50 billion plastic water bottles last year. However, the U.S.’s recycling rate for plastic is only 23 percent, which means 38 billion water bottles – more than $1 billion worth of plastic – are wasted each year3.
- The recommended eight glasses of water a day, at U.S. tap rates equals about $.49 per year; that same amount of bottled water is about $1,400.
- Antimony, which is found in PET plastic bottles, in small doses can cause dizziness and depression; in larger doses it can cause nausea, vomiting and death.
- In the United States, 24 percent of bottled water sold is either Pepsi’s Aquafina (13 percent of the market) or Coke’s Dasani (11 percent of the market). Both brands are bottled, purified municipal water3.